Monday, October 4, 2010

When the Church Bulletin Slaps you in the Face

I think the title of my post fits perfectly with my story and you may have had it happen to you at some point.
I've been busy lately setting up my ministry. I have partnered with Buisness By Design to put together a website which has been very exciting. I"ve gotten to choose some colors, design styles and content. I've put alot of thought into my Mission Statement and been listening to some speakers training by Proverbs 31 Ministry. I'm doing everything I can to make the practical side of my ministry come together nicely. But there is a particular aspect to what I'm trying to do that has significant importance and is the "meat and potatoes" of Katie Kniss Ministries. And that would be the biblical foundation and wealth of knowledge from which I base all my speaking material. None of the "extra" stuff will make a bit of difference if I don't have solid footing on what God wants me to speak on. His Word. My messages can't come from me they have to come from God, after all it's his story and it's for his glory.
It's been on my mind lately that I may want to take some seminary schooling or get a college degree in biblical studies. I know I can still have a ministry without it, but I consider it like equipping for battle. The Bible is my ammo. If I don't use it correctly, it may blow up in my face. In other words, I need to know what I'm talking about and have scripture to back it up. To do that, requires some level of study and schooling. I've prayed about it and set it in the back of my mind because I already have alot on my plate. Just the fact that I'm a mom of 4 kids is enough to make travel to a worthy college impossible. So it sat in the back of my mind with a "some day" label on it. Until this past Sunday.
When I woke up on Sunday my feet were on the ground but my heart was still in bed. I was tired. As I lay there, half in, half out of my bed, and contemplated staying home, a thought flicked on in my head that said "get up, go to church, God's got a message for you." So we did and I eagerly sat down in the sanctuary, ready for my message. As I opened up the church bulletin the words "Want a Masters Degree" jumped out and slapped me in the face! I couldn't ignore those words and got more excited as I read "choose from a degree in Ministry Leadership or Biblical Studies. Classes to be offered in Traverse City." I couldn't believe it! God had contacted 2 good christian colleges and told them I needed a college degree but they'd have to come to me! It was one of those moments when you sit back in amazement and think "wow, that was just for me! Thanks God"
It made me realize that I was right. I gotta get the biblical foundation down before anything else. So, I have work to do and I'm excited and scared. I don't know how I will fit another "thing" into my schedule but I do know that He will not give me more than I can handle. It may be at night that I collapse in bed with exhaustion but if in the end it all glorifies God then to that I say "bring it on!"

2 comments:

  1. i don't know why you can't view the title. But it is "When the Church Bulletin slaps you in the Face."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing Katie. I saw that in the church bulletin too and thought how very neat they are offering that. I love to hear how God has provided for you. Praying for you. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete