Sunday, October 24, 2010

Seeing is not always believing

I found a verse in Hebrews the other day that I thought I'd share. I read it on the bathroom wall at a friends house actually, but it has a very deep implication. It's Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. There are so many atheists in this world who would like to argue "if there is a God, why doesn't he show himself so we could all believe in him?" And that might stop some Christians to wonder "gees that would be nice wouldn't it"
We already have the faith that God is real. We were looking for him and we found him. We are already certain that he is there and are sure that we will be in heaven with him someday so we didn't have to see him now to believe. The problem with atheists wanting to see before believing has 2 problems with it. First, even if they saw Jesus face to face (because Jesus is God in human form) they would likely still not believe. The doubt in their heart is already preset. It would be like if you were to tell me about a lion but I didn't believe there was such a thing as a lion because I had no way of knowing what a lion was compared to really big house cat. So even if you brought a lion to me, I might just as well say it's nothing but a house cat because I'm not looking to see a lion. Atheist would not believe they were seeing Jesus because they are not looking. It would just lead to deeper doubting.
And the second reason is this, God created us with free will. He does not want robots with no free thinking and no free ability to love him. He wants our love to shine from our heart because we truly do love him. If he were to show himself and because of his great power and majesty we would no longer have the free will to love him. We would have to because we are in the presence of the King. Much like a servant would love his King. The King is superior and if we love him he might do great things for us or punish us if we disobey. That is not free love. That is not the same love as a Bride and Groom that God says he wants with us. He wants unconditional love weather we see him or not. I personally believe we can get an overwhelming presence from him in our hearts and spirits that we don't have to see him to know he's there. And it's freeing to know that I love him even if I don't see him. And when I do I will be able to love him even more! I don't need to see God to know for certain that some day I will sit at his feet and love him unconditionally for all eternity. I think that's just a part of what faith is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment