Thursday, August 20, 2009

My story: Part 1

Here is part of my speech: It begins with the post I did about Hopeless and leads into this. So just know when you start to read this it is picking up from that beginning. I would appreciate any feed back about flow and content. I'm not done, of course, as I am debating my next sentences. Suggestions on where I should go from there are welcome too.


You see, when our van was hit head on and the truck that hit me burst into flames, I was unconscious and trapped! The witness pulled my kids from the van but watched helpless as I was losing blood and struggling for life. They feared I would be burned alive.
It was just then that a state trooper, who “happened” to be driving along quickly acted by ramming the truck off my van. Minutes later the ambulance crew pried me from the wreckage with the Jaws of Life. I was unresponsive and barely breathing. The outlook appeared grim as I was rushed to the hospital. So severe in fact that I was later air lifted to Spectrum hospital 2 hours away.
My mom recalls arriving at the hospital a midst a flurry of activity. A social worker paced anxiously for her to come and identify the kids. Hayden had been hurt with internal injuries and was being treated. Emilee was okay but they were both scared. And after she provided as much comfort to them as she could she was rushed in to identify me.
A team of doctors and nurses surrounded my bed, working at every angle to stabilize my heart, stop the rapid blood loss and evaluate the extent of my injuries. Mom stared at my lifeless body unbelieving that this could be HER daughter. “That’s Katie, she’s pregnant!” (pause) Everyone in the room froze. I was 2 months pregnant and excited about the arrival of our 4th child. But now the outlook was bleak as their first priority was to keep me alive.
But God’s healing hand was on me. Prayers were being answered as more and more gathered to pray. And it’s at times like these when all we can do is pray and no matter how strong we may be we are nothing without him! But if we put our hope in the Lord he will lift us up and we will soar on the wings of eagles! (Isaiah 40:31)
Family and friends pulled together to care for our needs at home and word went out from the Red Cross to find my husband!
Josh was in the midst of battle in Iraq when the accident happened. Bullets flew inched from his head when 2 others in his unit were hit by an I.E.D. Because he was the trained medic he cared for them as they were air lifted back to the infirmary. That’s where the Red Cross found him and delivered the message. The details were vague and he was told that his wife had been in serious accident with a head injury and multiple broken bones. And that they were unsure if I’d be alive by the time he arrived home.
It took 4 long days for him to get home. He was desperate to get to me worried that he’d be too late. When he finally arrived he walked into my room. There I was in a coma with a breathing tube and several other machines that kept me alive. Josh stood there stunned and speechless as he waved everyone out of the room. When the door shut he fell to his knees at my bedside a completely broken man. He pleaded to God for my life. He had nothing left but to trust in He who saves.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for part 2!!! I love hearing your story! I didn't realize that you were pregnant, your husband was at war, and oh my goodness- you went through a lot! Puts my personal story of obstinance to my gracious Redeemer to shame! You are doing great on the blogging!!! Keep it up. You may not have 2 feet to stand on, but the Hand of the Lord is most certianly upon you!!!
    So happy you used the "One Leg Up!" I LOVE IT!!!!!
    Much love-
    Charlie, the Big Butt Girl :)

    ReplyDelete